State Wage Payment Laws
Below are links to pages that contain summaries of and links related to each state’s wage payment requirements for private sector employers (some states have different laws for public sector employers). They provide state-specific answers to questions such as:
- How frequently must an employer pay an employee?
- Can an employer pay an employee through direct deposit and, if so, can it be required?
- When must an employer pay an employee who is fired, discharged, or terminated?
- When must an employer pay an employee who quits or resigns?
- What deductions can an employer take from an employee’s wages?
- Can an employer deduct the cost of any of the following from an employee’s wages?
- cash shortages
- breakage, damage, or loss of the employer’s property
- required uniforms
- required tools
- other items necessary for employment
- Is an employer required to provide employees with a pay stub or statement of wages?