The following list contains the state holidays recognized by Maine.
- New Year’s Day (January 1)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
- Washington’s Birthday (3rd Monday in February)
- Patriot’s Day (3rd Monday in April)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Veterans Day (November 11)
- Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
Click here for a list of federal holidays.
Public offices in county buildings may close on the holidays listed above. If a holiday falls on a Sunday, it is observed on the following Monday. ME Statute 23:1051
Private employers in Maine are not required to close on any of the listed holidays. Additionally, private employers are not required to allow employees to take either paid or unpaid time off on the holidays nor are they required to pay employees any premium wage rates to employees who work on the holidays. Private employers may establish policies or practices granting employees time off on any of the listed holiday or agree to pay premium wage rates to employees who work on those days. Employers who establish such policies or practices may be required to comply with them.
Find out more about Maine’s Leave Laws.